ASP.NET at Helios
I have worked with Helios Solutions since last 4 years. Helios Solutions is a growing company and working for European market. I have joined Helios for Microsoft technology and developed many applications based of web forms/ web form with MVC, window forms/ JQUERY mobile etc.
Few years ago, we choose web forms with ASP.NET. ASP.NET is a new ASP generation. The pages of ASP.NET applications are compiled so that ASP.NET application runs faster than classic ASP. ASP.NET pages have the extension .aspx, and are normally written in VB (Visual Basic) or C# (C sharp). ASP.NET has better language support, a large set of user controls, and integrated user authentication. Using ASP.NET leverages we can develop dynamic, data-driven applications that run over the World Wide Web.
When ASP.NET file is required by a browser, the ASP.NET engine reads the file, compiles it and executes the scripts in that file, and returns the result to the browser as plain HTML.
Asp.Net Web Form has built-in data controls and best for rapid development with powerful data access.
In ASP.NET, we use following tools.
- Telerik UI Radcontrols: We use telerik UI RadControls. Telerik UI radcontrols is a ASP.NET AJAX development toolset. It includes over 70 highly optimized controls for rapid component-based development. Surveys among our clients show that RadControls speed up UI development up to 5 times and allow web developers to focus most of their time on implementing business logic.
- Telerik ORM: OpenAccess ORM is Telerik’s free object-relational mapping tool that will generate the data access layer for your applications after just a few mouse drag and drops and clicks. It’s easy, quick, and powerful.
- Telerik Reporting: The Telerik Reporting package provides a complete graphical report designer that runs inside of Visual Studio. Using report designer, you can perform all the tasks necessary to construct a report: Q3 2013 introduces the Telerik Reporting HTML5 Report Viewer with mobile support.
- Telerik Rad Chart: The versatile nature of Telerik Charts allow you to add scientific ,financial, engineering, business or any kind of relevant data to charts that can be integrated into your applications. If you are just starting your project and want to have highly active, rich, animated or even 3D charts the Telerik Silverlight Charts are the perfect fit for ASP.NET apps.
- eXpressPersistent Objects™ (XPO): XPO is an Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) tool that handles all aspects of object persistence and database creation, allowing you to concentrate on your application.
- 2.3 XtraReports: The DevExpress Reporting Suite (XtraReports) allows you to easily create complex hierarchical master-detail reports.
- Also used different Jquery tools in our ASP.NET applications.
- We use AJAX controls from AJAX controls toolkit.
We also used SSRS reporting services, crystal report services etc.
Why ASP.NET should be selected for web applications according to Helios:
Our reason for not going to MVC a few years ago was it was an immature technology from Microsoft. Over the past few years we are now on a more mature version (4) and MS seems to have worked out where they are going with this. If you want to control architecture of your code by your own then select webforms.